As February comes to close, we can begin to say goodbye to winter and get ready for spring.  With having such a mild winter who knows what’s in store for this spring of new beginnings. Here at Alexander Academy we completed the first month of our new beginning of the second semester.

 

Grammar & Spelling

     In spelling class, we learned how words that end in y have to changes in their spelling when they are more than one, a past tense verb, or an adjective describing the degree of something.  Then we moved on to words that have the /k/ sound but can be spelled in a variety of ways.  Lastly, we learned words that the /j/ sound can be produced through multiple letter blends such as –dge, and the /s/ sound can also be spelled by using -ce.

     In grammar, we have built upon our previous knowledge of basics verbs by learning how to use a thesaurus to find synonyms; words that share the same meaning, to replace our verbs and develop better sentences.  We also learned how the thesaurus can provide us with antonyms; words that have the opposite meaning, to help us better understand the meaning of an unfamiliar word.  The discovery of antonyms and synonyms has lead us to new adjectives as well.  From learning new adjectives that describe nouns or tell us how many or how much of something, we sidestepped right into adverbs.

 

Science

     We’ve started the second semester with a new unit in Science.  Previously, we had been learning about the many aspects of both living and nonliving things.  We are now learning about the earth.  This month we were introduced to the earth’s surface.  We were amazed to find out that the 75% of the earth is covered by water and that out of the water on earth only 3% is naturally occurring fresh water that we can use.  The other 97% we have to remove the salt and other particles from in order to make it consumable.  The next cool thing about earth we learned were different layers that make us the planet and how the crust can change rapidly or slowly.  A rapid change to the crust is something like a volcano exploding or an earthquake.  A slow change is erosion caused by water, wind, or ice.  The crust is the only layer of the earth we can see and the only layer where organisms survive.  Within the crust is where rocks are formed.  Our planet is so fascinating!

 

Social Studies

     Social studies class has had a large focus on the diversity within a country.  We first learned about what it must have been like for others to come to America when it was still a young country.  Then we discussed what an ancestor is and it is different than a generation.  While an ancestor may be a direct relative of ours people from our generation live through similar experiences and can relate to us.  Our ancestors are important people because their culture has become our heritage.  We then moved on to understanding what an immigrant is and how their choice to immigrate to another affects them and future generations.  Our latest lesson from this month was about what the greater good means within a community and how our citizenship affects the community we live in.  We also learned what it means to be a volunteer and why people choose to act selflessly.

 

Reading & Writing

     Our writing projects have resumed their regular schedule.  This semester our reading and writing were about traditional tales.  Our story and play this month were both traditional tales that took place in Mexico.  They both had lessons that taught us not to laugh at someone or make fun of their dreams or goals.  Just because their dreams or goals seem silly or impossible to us does not mean they cannot be achieved by those who never give up and follow them.  Our writing task for this month was to think of a lesson or moral that we would want to teach us and demonstrate it through a fictitious tale.